The Halton Regional Police Service is accepting applications for employment from serving Canadian Police Officers for lateral hires.
All serving Canadian Police Officers shall have:
- Completed a program of recruit policing training in Canada
- Completed their probationary period with their respective Police Service prior to submitting their application for employment
- Be in good standing with their current Police Service
Note: The Ontario Police Services Act Regulations governing the appointment of persons to the Office of Constable in the Province of Ontario state that the Police Recruit shall first successfully complete the Basic Constable Training Program at the Ontario Police College before being appointed as a Police Officer.
RCMP Officers are exempted from this regulation if candidates meet the following criteria:
- Completion of the RCMP Cadet Training Program (Depot)
- Completion of their probationary period
- Are in good standing with current employer
Candidates who have completed a program of recruit police training in Canada at the B.C. Justice Institute, Northwest Law Enforcement Academy, Saskatchewan Police College, École Nationale de Police du Québec, or Atlantic Police Academy may be considered for exemption from Basic Constable Training at the Ontario Police College.
The Ontario Police College will review requests for exemption, assessing the Candidate’s resume, training certificate and at least one reference from the jurisdiction in which the Candidate served, to establish the nature of the Candidate’s previous service as a Police Officer.
All serving Police Officers must submit copies of the following documents along with their application for employment:
- Handwritten HRPS Police Constable application form
- HRPS waiver
- Cover letter
- Recruit Police Training Certificate and transcripts
- Current First Aid and CPR (Level C) Certificate
- Copies of previous performance evaluations
- Copies of course/training certificates
- Copies of commendations
- Secondary and post-secondary diplomas and transcripts
- Proof of valid Ontario Class G Driver's Licence
- Proof of Canadian citizenship
All applications will be screened and competitive candidates will commence the selection process which includes:
- Interview/Pre-Background Questionnaire
- Psychological Assessment
- Background Investigation
- Fitness Test
- Medical & Security Clearance
Note: The Fitness Test is the Ontario Police Fitness Award or the OACP CSS Physical Readiness Evaluation for Police (PREP). The Ontario Police Fitness Award is offered by the Halton Regional Police Service at no cost or may be obtained through the Candidate’s respective Police Service.
The PREP is offered by Applicant Testing Services Inc. (ATS) for a fee. For further information contact ATS:
Telephone: 1-800-429-7728 or 519-659-8686
The physical fitness test must be completed for the current year and prior to a conditional offer of employment.
Candidates offered uniform member positions with the Halton Regional Police Service may:
- Be posted to any one of the four Divisions at the discretion of the HRPS
- Be subject to transfer to any of the four Divisions at the discretion of the Service
Successful candidates will:
- Have his/her length of continuous police service as a uniform officer recognized for the purpose of calculating the amount of annual vacation pay. The vacation pay will be pro-rated in accordance with the Halton Regional Police Service Collective Agreement.
To be eligible for the Retention Incentive Premium, a member must have completed eight (8) years of service with the Halton Regional Police Service in accordance with the Halton Regional Police Service's Collective Agreement.
How to Apply:
For more information on how to apply, contact us.